You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me ... C.S. Lewis

Do things to make your day precious ... Bernie Siegel


Saturday, July 12, 2008

Good Friends, Good Food, Good Times

On Monday three friends and I drove to The Harvester Golf Club between Des Moines and Marshalltown. It was a humid day so we were concerned that we might not be able to dine al fresco, but the breezes on the high deck did not disappoint us. We spent 2 1/2 hours relaxing over lunch and Arnold Palmers and catching up on each other's lives. The gift shop Just Fore You is open Thursday through Saturday so we only looked in the windows. I didn't realize I'd be able to stop in today on my way back from a quick trip to Marshalltown, but I'm so glad I did. I found some lovely coffees and teas at 50% off, as well as a few other goodies.
On Wednesday I met two friends in Fort Dodge at Tea Time at Sadies Tea Room. Once again, the food was delicious and the atmosphere warm. After lunch, we drove to a consignment shop in the downtown area. We discovered Repeat Boutique several years ago. We each found lots of name-brand clothing at bargain prices.
Tonight I heard a wonderful band play a free concert at my church. They are called Denver and the Mile High Orchestra and their pop and Christian music has a big band sound.
LYS of the Week: I was able to return to a wonderful yarn shop in Carroll, Iowa, called The Yarn Basket. This is a store I wish were much closer to Des Moines. Everything about it is exactly the way a yarn shop should be. I found some multicolored wool that I hope to make into a shawl. Christy has been working both times I've visited The Yarn Basket and I think she is such an asset to the shop with her knowledge and enthusiasm.
Podcast of the Week: I am completed enthralled with She-Knits. Sharon has been podcasting for just over a year. I love the way she talks as though you were a close friend. Mostly it's about knitting, pattern designing and her felted bag business, but she also shares tales of her very large family (a husband and seven children, ages 6-22). One of her greatest desires is to have her designs published in a printed or online magazine and that dream will be fulfilled three times this fall and winter by Interweave Knits, Interweave Felt and Knitscene.
Knitting Project of the Week: The Ballband Bag, a wool bag made with a solid color interspersed with an ever-changing multicolor yarn. This bag will be felted.
Blog of the Week: My Yellow Farmhouse. Karen has a beautiful house and her home was on a Christmas house tour in her corner of Minnesota last winter. She decorates, she quilts and especially enjoys working with wool. She takes great pictures of both her quilting and her home. She also shares recipes.
Books of the Week: Growing Up Country by Carol Bodensteiner. Carol shares her memories of a rural Iowa childhood in the middle of the 20th century. Her stories triggered memories of my own. Carol is a personal friend who I am trying to entice into visiting my book club on author night.
Things I Learned from Knitting Whether I Wanted To or Not by Stephanie Pearl McPhee. A very quick read full of lots of humor and wit and adventures you can relate to. This was a gift from a good friend.
Later ...

No comments: