You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me ... C.S. Lewis

Do things to make your day precious ... Bernie Siegel


Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Long Ago and Far Away ...


... when I was a very young mom with two daughters under 4 we were sent to Mannheim, Germany by my husband's company. The original assignment was to be six months long, but that stretched into a year and then two and finally three. The girls learned to speak German at their nearby kindergarten and I learned to speak German at my twice-a-week Berlitz class. Because it happened so long ago, I have a romanticized idea of the city where we lived, Heidelberg, and have wanted to return. At various times I've expressed that desire but something else has always taken precedence. Possibly, just possibly, I can now say I can see Heidelberg on the horizon.

The most touching thing I've read about the recently passed health care bill is this:
"Ted Kennedy's youngest son, Rep. Patrick J. Kennedy (D-R.I.), visited on Monday morning and left a hand-written note that read: 'Dad, the unfinished business is done.' And on a dreary Tuesday morning, Caroline Kennedy, the senator's niece, sat in the front row, with other members of the storied family." His mission is complete.

Happiness...not in another place but this place, not for another hour, but this hour.
- Walt Whitman

No comments: